Emergency Vet Springdale | Putting A Stop To Heartworms
It is absolutely unnecessary for any animal to be rushed to emergency vet in Springdale. Because their owners suspect that they have heartworm disease. Or, they know that there animal is sick. And it turns out to be heartworm disease.
Up until they get diagnosed in the emergency room. Many pet owners have never heard about heartworm disease. This is often, because they are not visiting. Their regular veterinarian as often as they should.
Ideally, pets should visit the veterinarian. Once a year for an annual examination. They will be able to get regular vaccinations. And a checkup, that can rule out diseases.
At these appointments, pet owners will also hear about things like the importance of a flea and tick medication. To keep their animal from getting these pests that can make them very sick.
Deworming medicine, that will help keep their insights healthy. If they accidentally eat something they should not. Like rabbit to put at the off leash park. As well as heartworm prevention medicine.
Heartworm is a parasite that infects an animal’s bloodstream. And eventually, is fatal. While it takes many years for the animal to become sick. From their initial infection.
Pet owners should not take this as a sign. To not consider heartworm disease very serious. Many pets that have this illness. Succumb to sudden death. Because as the name suggests.
These parasites, that grow up to several inches in length. Invest the animals heart. Until they are no longer able to pump blood that keeps them alive. While most dogs are diagnosed with heartworm.
That has more to do with the size of their heart than anything. Cats can get this disease. But because they have smaller hearts. Most current worms are unable to lodge themselves in the heart.
However, when they are successful. Cats are more likely. To have sudden death from this disease. Simply because it takes fewer heart worms. To stop the cats heart from beating.
The symptoms of heartworm disease are also very vague. People may not know it is time to take there animal to an emergency vet in Springdale. Because they might be lethargic, or have developed a slight cough.
And none of those, seem serious enough. To rushed to the emergency room. By the time the animal is exhibiting these symptoms. They are probably very far along in their illness.
Taking them to an emergency vet in Springdale. Will allow the veterinarian to run a blood test. That is designed to test for heartworm antibodies. In the animals bloodstream, to find out if they are positive.
This test also looks for ehrlichiosis and anaplasmosis. Common diseases caused by tics. If they are not positive. They will immediately start the animal on the preventative medication. That can be given orally or topically.
Unfortunately, if the animal does have heartworm. The long and expensive treatment. To kill the heart worms will be able to begin. And give the animal a clean bill of health eventually.
Emergency Vet Springdale | Put A Stop To Heartworms Today
Heart worms are parasites says emergency vet in Springdale. And while they are very preventable. The instances of heartworm is only increasing year after year. According to the most recent survey of this subject.
21% more dogs are being diagnosed with this disease. This year, compared to last year. And the year before as well. Despite the fact that it is very easily prevented. More animals than ever before are contracting this disease.
One thing that veterinarians need to do. Is educate pet owners. Not only on what heartworm is. But how it is transmitted. So that they can be armed with knowledge. And start the right prevention treatment.
Heartworm is only transmitted one way. Through the bite of an infected mosquito. Mosquitoes can get infected one of two ways. They are either born, with the microfilaria larva already inside of them.
Or, they can bite an infected animal. And then transfer the microfilaria larva. To an uninfected animal they bite them next. While that does happen says emergency vet in Springdale.
It is far more likely. That mosquitoes will be hatched, with the microfilaria inside them. How that happens, is when a female mosquito. Bites an infected animal. And then lays her eggs using that blood.
The eggs will be infested with microfilaria. Causing the mosquitoes to be born with these larva inside them. And since thousands of mosquitoes are hatched. From one female mosquito.
There are literally millions of mosquitoes. That could potentially cause damage to animals. This is why it is so important. Pet owners to hear about the preventative medication.
The medication, can be taken one of two ways. There is a topical medication. That is perfect for picky eaters. And cats, who are notorious. For refusing their medicine. Applying the medication to the top of the animal’s head.
Can help ensure that the pet is 100% covered. Guaranteed, by the makers of the medicine. This medicine must be administered on a monthly basis. And has absolutely no side effects.
There is also two different types of medication, heart guard and interceptor. That is in a chewable and in indigestible format. These taste like treats. Coming in beef and pork flavor.
However, some pets do experience. Some gastrointestinal upset says emergency vet Springdale. Such as diarrhea or vomiting. If this is unacceptable to the pet or to the pet owner. They can instead use the topical medication.
Ultimately, treating pets is expensive and traumatic. But preventing heartworm is very easy, and inexpensive. If pet owners would like more information. They can either make an appointment with their regular veterinarian.
Or, once their pet has been tested. And it does not have heartworm, air emergency vet in Springdale. Can give them the medication that there pet needs. When looking for a regular veterinarian.
Pet owners should look no further than river valley veterinary hospital. Located in Springdale, where they will have all of their pets needs met. Keeping them healthy and happy for a lifetime.